The roofing industry has undergone many dramatic changes over the last twenty-five years. One of the products that caused the “industry revolution” was EPDM and this product endures today as a leading element in the market designated “flexible membrane roofing.”
What is EPDM?
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer or more commonly called EPDM is a synthetic rubber material commonly used on flat roofs and low-slope commercial buildings. Its two primary ingredients are ethylene and propylene, derived from oil and natural gas.
The advantages of using EPDM
EPDM is one of the most economical roofing materials available today. It is easy to install and is lightweight, so additional reinforcements do not need to be installed. It is also available in several thickness & width options.
EPDM is highly durable and holds up well in extreme weather conditions. It is resistant to ultraviolet radiation because of its carbon black filler and does not easily get scratches or scuffs. And because it is rubber, it bounces off hail and does not need welding work when repair is necessary. EPDM membrane has remained relatively constant for the past 40 years, with roof systems installed in the 1980s still performing well.
Many of the millions of square feet of our EPDM installations are still in service today and expected to have many more years of service life ahead of them with routine maintenance. So, overall, EPDM is a good choice if you are looking for a long lasting and affordable roofing material. It is easy to install and will rarely need to be repaired. Whether your commercial building is in a sunny area or an area that regularly experiences hailstorms, EPDM roofing will work just as well.
Contact the roofing experts of DeFrehn Roofing now to learn more about EPDM roofing and our other roofing services.
Signs It’s Time To Repair Your EPDM Roof
While EPDM roofing systems are durable, DeFrehn Roofing recommends a regular roof inspection to ensure that issues are addressed before they complicate and become very costly to repair. Here are the most common signs of EPDM roof damage:
- Rips or tears in the protective rubber membrane of your EPDM roofing system (serious roof leaks will soon follow)
- Ponding water
- Roof seam separation
- Water spots on the ceiling
- Roof leaks
- Other visible surface damage
Remember that not all roofing issues may be visible to the untrained eye. Be sure to schedule regular roof inspections by a professional roofing contractor and to have roofing issues repaired right away! For questions about our roofing services, to get a free quote, or to book an appointment, contact us on 215-860-1000.
Why Choose DeFrehn Roofing for your EPDM Roofing Needs
- Why Choose DeFrehn Roofing for your EPDM Roofing Needs
- DeFrehn Roofing has been trusted by many property owners for over 45 years. We have had the same name, same address, same phone number for over four decades!
- DeFrehn Roofing is a family-owned business and we diligently work on each property like it is our own.
- We offer leakproof warranties up to 30 years for commercial membranes.
- We offer hi-tech EPDM coatings for complex shapes.
- Our expert roofers can handle any roofing job no matter the size or difficulty!